Joseph A. Holko
Appellate Practice, Commercial & Business Litigation, Construction, Surety & Design Professionals, General Liability, Transportation,
Joe was born in Allentown, Pennsylvania and raised in Bethlehem. In his early years of practice, Joe concentrated on civil arbitrations, trials, and appeals. He served for a number of years as one of the only defense attorneys on the Board of Governors of the Pennsylvania Trial Lawyers Association. Joe handles complex civil defense litigation across a broad spectrum of liability areas including motor vehicle, premises liability, products liability and natural gas distribution law.
Since 1982, Joe has been a member of the Bar Association of Lehigh County, where he has served on the Board of Directors and various committees including the legislative, medical and Bench-Bar liaison committees. In 1989, Joe served on the committee for the formation of The Donald E. Wieand American Inn of Courts and serves on the Civil Rules Committee for the Bar Association of Lehigh County. Joe became President of the Bar Association of Lehigh County in 2005, its Centennial Celebration Year and co-authored a chapter on the history of members who served in the armed forces from World War I to the Iraq War.
Joe also serves as a mentor for the Bar Association of Lehigh County in the areas of civil litigation, appeals, and ethics, and has served as a mediator and arbitrator in private litigation matters. He is also an arbitrator for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1982
Indiana University of Pennsylvania, B.A., Criminology and Sociology, 1979
– Honors: magna cum laude
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1982
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1985
Middle District of Pennsylvania, 2004
Professional Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers 2013 – 2016
Rated “Distinguished” by Martindale-Hubbell
- Federal Ins. Co., v. Handwerk Site Contactors, United States District Court M.D. 1889 WL 5949219 (2012).
- Rock Creek Lumber Co., Inc. v. Valley Mach. Works, Ltd. United States District Court M.D. 210 WL 2891535 (2010).
- Kulina v. UGI, United States District Court, M.D. WL 743865 (2009).
- Gagnon v. Lemoyne Sleeper, United States District Court, M.D. Pennsylvania WL 5061677 (2008).
- Pace v. Mainstay Suites Hotel, United States District Court E.D. Pennsylvania WL 4861507 (2008).
- Gagnon v. Lemoyne Sleeper, United States District Court, M.D. Pennsylvania WL 1324141 (2008).
- Irish v. Lehigh County Housing Authority, 751 A.2d 1201 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2000).
- Smith v. Agentis, 704 A.2d 737 (Pa. Cmwlth. 1998).
- Raymark Indus. v. Baron, Civil No. 96-7625, 1997 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 8871 (E.D. Pa. June 23, 1997).
- Galisson v. Shawnee Mountain Ski Area, 32 Pa. D. & C. 4th 450 (Monroe County 1996).
- Stroudsburg Area School Dist. V. R.K.R. Associates/Architects, 417 Pa. Super. 85, 611 A.2d 1276 (1992).
- Northampton County Area Community College v. Dow Chemical, U.S.A., 528 Pa. 502, 598 A.2d 1288 (1991).
- Pritchard v. City of Pottsville, 113 Pa. Cmwlth. 38, 536 A.2d 844 (1988).
- Andreucci v. Zoning Hearing Bd. of Lower Milford Tp., 104 Pa. Cmwlth. 233, 522 A.2d 107 (1987).
- Perlman v. Perlman, 31 Pa. D & C. 3d 314 (Lehigh County 1984).
Professional Associations & Memberships
Bar Association of Lehigh County, Past President (2005)
Pennsylvania Defense Institute – Director-At Large (2020)
Pennsylvania Defense Institute – Co-Chair of the Civil Practice and Procedure Committee