Peter J. Speaker
Appellate Practice, General Liability, Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith,
Pete began his career as a trial lawyer as a Deputy Attorney General in the Torts Litigation Unit of the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office, where he defended state agencies and employees in personal injury cases.
A native of central Pennsylvania, Pete joined the firm in 1986 and focuses his practice on the defense of personal injury cases and representation of insurers in UM/UIM, first-party benefits (“PIP”), coverage and bad faith litigation.
Pete served as President of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute (PDI) for 2013-2014 and is a member of the Claims Committee of the Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (PAMIC).
Cases that reflect Pete’s success in representing insurers include the following:
- Pennsylvania National v. Black, 916 A.2d 569 (Pa. 2007) (Supreme Court holds that UIM set off for amounts payable under liability coverage is valid).
- Paden v. Baker Concrete Construction, 658 A.2d 341 (Pa. 1995) (Supreme Court affirms dismissal of defendant based on defective joinder).
- Donegal Mutual v. Long, 597 A.2d 1124 (Pa. 1991) (Supreme Court holds that excess insurer is not required to “drop down” where primary insurer went insolvent).
- McFarland v. Harford Mut. Ins. Cos., 2019 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 124308 (M.D. Pa. 2019) (Bad faith discovery stayed pending resolution of insurance claim).
- Cont’l Cas. Co. v. Pa. Nat’l Mut. Cas. Ins. Co., 2021 U.S. Dist. LEXIS 46561 (E.D. Pa. 2021) (Judgment for Penn National in $8,700,000 equitable subrogation suit, on grounds that driving vehicle does not equate to “borrowing” it).
- Canopius US Insurance v. RN’G Construction, No. 1768 Sept. Term 2013 (Md. Sp. Appeals, August 1, 2016) (Affirming verdict and judgment for Penn National in equitable subrogation case regarding $8,000,000 settlement, on grounds that crane truck was “mobile equipment” not “auto,” and awarding litigation costs to Penn National).
Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1985
La Salle University, B.A., maxima cum laude, 1980
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1987
Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1987
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1998
U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
Western District of Pennsylvania, 2001
Professional Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers, 2013-2021
AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale‐Hubbell
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Past President
Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (PAMIC), Claims Committee