Peter J. Speaker
Appellate Practice, General Liability, Insurance Coverage & Bad Faith,
A managing partner of the firm, Pete began his career as a trial lawyer as a Deputy Attorney General in the Torts Litigation Unit of the Pennsylvania Attorney General’s Office, where he defended state agencies and employees in personal injury cases.
A native of central Pennsylvania, Pete joined the firm in 1986 and focuses his practice on the defense of personal injury cases and representation of insurers in UM/UIM, first-party benefits (“PIP”), coverage and bad faith litigation.
Pete served as President of the Pennsylvania Defense Institute (PDI) for 2013-2014 and is a member of the Claims Committee of the Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (PAMIC).
Published decisions that reflect Pete’s success in representing insurers and defendants include the following:
- Pennsylvania National v. Black, 916 A.2d 569 (Pa. 2007) (Supreme Court holds that UIM set off for amounts payable under liability coverage is valid).
- Paden v. Baker Concrete Construction, 658 A.2d 341 (Pa. 1995) (Supreme Court affirms dismissal of defendant based on defective joinder).
- Donegal Mutual v. Long, 597 A.2d 1124 (Pa. 1991) (Supreme Court holds that excess insurer is not required to “drop down” where primary insurer went insolvent).
- Purcell v. Ewing, 560 F. Supp. 2d 337 (M.D. Pa. 2008) (summary judgment for defendant accused of defamatory suggestion of child molestation).
- Baranowski v. Borough of Palmyra, 868 F. Supp. 86 (M.D. Pa. 1994) (dismissing claim of unconstitutional taking of property without just compensation and due process).
- Tarantino v. P. H. Glatfelter Co., 2 Pa. D. &4th 198 (York C.P. 1989) (summary judgment based on independent contractor defense, rejecting special danger and peculiar risk exceptions).
Temple University School of Law, J.D., 1985
La Salle University, B.A., maxima cum laude, 1980
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1987
Middle District of Pennsylvania, 1987
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1998
U.S. Supreme Court, 1990
Western District of Pennsylvania, 2001
Professional Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers, 2013-2020
AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale‐Hubbell
Professional Associations & Memberships
American Bar Association
Dauphin County Bar Association
Federal Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Pennsylvania Defense Institute, Past President
Pennsylvania Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (PAMIC), Claims Committee