James A. Tinnyo
Mr. Tinnyo is a partner in the Harrisburg office of Thomas, Thomas and Hafer, LLP. Mr. Tinnyo has practiced workers’ compensation law in Pennsylvania since 1987 and has litigated workers’ compensation cases before numerous workers’ compensation judges, the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Board, Commonwealth Court and the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.
Mr. Tinnyo represents a multitude of insurance carriers, third party administrators and employers in workers’ compensation litigation throughout the Commonwealth. He is a frequent lecturer on workers’ compensation law, including the Pennsylvania Bar Institute’s “Tough Problems” and Fall Section meeting seminars. Mr. Tinnyo is author of “Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Law: A New Requirement For Establishing Causation in Off-Premises Injuries,” April 2004, Pennsylvania Bar Quarterly.
Mr. Tinnyo was also the content review editor of the chapters on workers’ compensation in the Pennsylvania Law Encyclopedia, 2006 and 2018 editions.
George Washington University National Law Center, J.D.
The Pennsylvania State University, B.A., Political Science
U.S. Court of Appeals 3rd Circuit, 1986
Eastern District of Pennsylvania, 1986
Professional Honors & Awards
Rated “AV Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell
Significant Appellate Decisions:
- Costa v. WCAB (Carlisle Carrier Corp.), 958 A.2d 596 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2008)
- Trevdan Bldg. Supply v. WCAB (Pope), 9 A.3d 1221 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2010)
- Mills v. WCAB (School Dist. of Harrisburg), 24 A.3d 1094 ( Pa. Cmwlth. 2011)
- Boyertown Foundry v. WCAB (Martinez), No. 1273 C.D. 2011 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2011)
- East Hempfield Township v. WCAB (Stahl), No. 1058 C.D. 2017 (Pa. Cmwlth. 2018)
Professional Associations & Memberships
Dauphin County Bar Association
Defense Research Institute
Pennsylvania Research Institute
Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
Related Professional Skills
Faculty Member and Presenter – Pennsylvania Bar Institute
- “Tough Problems in Workers’ Compensation: Considerations for Assessment of Counsel Fees,” 2003
- Worker’s Compensation Committee Fall Meeting, 2004
- “Tough Problems in Workers’ Compensation: New Vocational Strategies in Light of Riddle and Phoenixville Hospital and Vocational Regulations,” 2011
- “Tough Problems in Workers’ Compensation: Heart & Lung and Workers’ Compensation,” 2017
- PA Workers Compensation Law: A New Requirement for Establishing Causation in Off-Premises Injuries – Pa. Bar Assn Quarterly at 75 Pa Bar. Assn Quarterly 80, April 2004
- Workers’ Compensation, Pennsylvania Law Encyclopedia – Content Review Editor, 2006 and 2018 Editions